WHO IS ELIGIBLE HAR-CO
Credit Union members are eligible.
All applicants must be a Harford County graduating high school senior and plan to enter college or university in the next academic year. Recipients must submit evidence of acceptance and enrollment in an accredited college or university before payment will be made.
Credit union employees, children of credit union directors, officers or employees are exempt from applying.
Annually HAR-COCredit Union offers twelve $1,000 scholarships. A reception will be held in May for all scholarship recipients prior to graduation. Announcements and invitations will be mailed to recipients by HAR-CO in early May.
1.The HAR-COCredit Union Scholarship (HAR-CO Scholarship) is offered to a graduating senior ateach high school in Harford County. The amount for each scholarship is $1,000.00.
The HAR-CO awards are paid directly to the recipients. The award is to provide financial assistance to the recipient in his/her pursuit of an undergraduate degree at an accredited college or university. The money is to be used for the student’s tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment.
The awards are intended to constitute qualified scholarships. If tax liability arises, it will be the sole responsibility of the recipient. Please consult your tax advisor.
The guidelines for each award are as follows:
HAR-CO Scholarship applicants must:
1. Be a HAR-CO member at the date of application. Student’s membership number required.
2. Have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.00.
3. Be a Harford County high school senior who has been accepted to a four year college or university.
4. Reside in Harford County.
5. Submit a completed application along with supporting materials that include:
• Statement of worthiness: This narrative, written by the applicant, is weighed heavily in the selection process. Outline your career plans, high school and community activities, job experience and any other lifetime experience that may distinguish you as an applicant. Also include pertinent family information and, most importantly, why you believe you are worthy of winning the scholarship. This narrative should be double spaced and not exceed two pages in length.
• Transcript of high school credits up to and including current semester.
• Two (2) letters of recommendation from members of the community.
• Copy(s) of the letter(s) of acceptance.
HAR-CO applications are available at www.harcocu.org
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for the HAR-CO Scholarship, complete the application form and return it with required supporting materials by 5:00 PM on April 25, 2014 to:
HAR-CO Credit Union Scholarship Committee 30 Hickory Avenue Bel Air, Maryland 21014
All entries shall become the property of the credit union. If you have any questions about the scholarship program, contact HAR-CO Credit Union at (410) 838-9090 or (410) 879-3762 ext. 226.
HOW ARE WINNERS SELECTED
Winners of HAR-CO Scholarship awards are selected by the Scholarship Committee. This Committee is composed of at least three members of the HAR-CO Board of Directors that are appointed by the Chairman. At least one committee member shall have served the previous year. It is the responsibility of the HAR-CO Scholarship Committee to administer this program.
All completed applications are reviewed by the entire Scholarship Committee and are confidential.
Scholarship recipients are selected without regard to their race, creed or national origin.